Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Stop & Chat: February 3-9: Experimenting Is Fun... Until It's Not

Glittergasm on my fingers. Thank you, Lush.
So... about two posts ago I talked about my goals with this blog. Post more consistently. And you want to know the only reason why the two posts since February 2nd have posted? Scheduled posting. Funny story about this. Ahahahaha. Ha. Ha. -.- Please, join me in laughter. If you're wondering about the picture, it's just the aftermath of me taking pictures for my upcoming collective Lush Haul.



I've been wanting to switch to a dual monitor setup for a while now. My old computer setup didn't have the required apparatus. The video card couldn't send out two visuals, and the motherboard didn't have a connector for a 2nd video card to use for a 2nd screen. The new setup, however, does! Albeit in a weird way. My new video card can do three separate output types but we wanted HDMI for both monitors, so M decided to hook up my old video card to the motherboard and we'd run the old screen off of there. No problem, right?

Nope. No problem whatsoever. Until after he left for work and I started up my computer to get ready to fiddle around with the settings. And guess who forgot that my new setup pulls a lot more wattage than my previous setup? And guess whose PSU did not like that and expressed said distaste by crapping out on us? Yup. Mine.

This was in the beginning of M's 8-day straight workweek. Which meant I would have to wait until February 8th for us to go into town to buy me a new PSU. So I spent the first few days sans computer running. I was on my feet so much I royally fucked them up. I still experience excruciating pain whenever I walk or put any sort of pressure on my feet. You'd think I would learn my lesson after the fiasco that was Keys West last year where I messed up my feet even worse. No. So I continued to run, albeit at a much smaller amount than before, until my feet just stopped functioning as feet. Okay, I'm being a bit dramatic there, but it got to a point where I thought just maybe I should give my feet a rest. Obviously this truckin-through-til-my-body-gets-over-it method of healing wasn't working. The tendons on the top of my feet had gotten very swollen and red and tender. Almost like they were begging me to stop.

So the rest of my week was spent on the couch. I would get up for food or to do some minor cleaning, but I was unable to do much more than waddle around like a toddler whenever I got up. Thus, cleaning was kept to a minimum.

I played a bit of XBox during this time. I started playing through the Mass Effect series, but quickly grew bored of it. It's an expansive series and I love knowing that decisions I make in the first game very much affect the story line in the 2nd and 3rd game, but I wasn't feeling it. I needed something lighter in heart and easier on the brain. So I loaded up Viva Piñata and played that for most of the week.

Monday morning rolls around and M comes home from his final shift and tells me to get ready to go into Yongsan so we can finally get out of the house and possibly pick up a PSU.

We went into the day knowing that everything off post would most likely be closed due to the New Year. What we didn't realize was everything on post would be closed, as well. At the very least we were thinking we could pick me up a PSU from on post. That way it would have the proper specs, anyway. But nooooo, that wasn't the case.

There were a few places at the electronics market that were open, but none of them had PSUs with high enough wattage. The highest they had was 600W, whereas my old PSU was 800W. That wasn't going to work! M says it's my processor, which pulls almost 200W all by itself.

We did pick up a key/mousepad for M, a mouse pad for me, and a Korean edition of Tarzan Action Game. The game doesn't have much written/spoken language to begin with, and I just really want to play the game because I remember it from my childhood and getting a brand new copy, albeit in Korean, was too good of an opportunity to pass up. My keypad is a Sims 3 themed keypad. It's definitely not licensed by EA and it's just a copy & paste from the University Life front case onto an appropriately sized mouse pad. It cost us 2,000W and I've been needing one so I figured, why not?

It was awesome in the store we found with all of the stuff we bought! So many Korean editions of  games that we know and love. I even saw a copy of Ultima Online: The Samurai Empire! All in Korean, but still UO!

After establishing that we wouldn't find my PSU, we walked back to the mall and walked around just to be there. There were a few stores open, but the entire place felt like a ghost town. One place that was bustling as always was the movie theater. Kung Fu Panda 3 was out so M and I went ahead and bought some tickets for the 4D-3D Imax experience. M watched Star Wars in 4D back in December and he said the experience was fun, so I thought I would try it out.

I had some minor motion sickness at the very beginning of the movie. I immediately broke out into a cold sweat and my stomach got very queasy. After a few minutes and some adjusting in the chair I was able to find a comfortable position and fully immerse myself in the experience. There was a family behind us with 3 or 4 kids, one of which was a huge screaming ball of tears and terror. I felt a little bad at how annoyed I got at the kid and its parents. I can understand that you can't always control when your child will throw a fit, but after you realize she/he's not going to calm down shouldn't you make efforts to calm your child or take your child out of the theater? In any case, once the movie really got going the child either calmed down or got drowned out by what was going on. Your chairs moved, water was sprayed at you, little whips hit your ankles and feet, air was blasted at your ears, lights flashed throughout the theater, fragrances were used at appropriate parts of the movie... it was great! The movie itself was fantastic, as well. I highly recommend it!

That's where my fun ended. We finished the movie and went home, then crashed for the night. I woke up Tuesday (yesterday) feeling horrible. My stomach was upset, I had a headache, and I couldn't really wake up. I stayed at home and slept on the couch while M went into Yongsan again to look for a PSU for me. What a sweetie. Since yesterday was his last day off before his next set of shifts he wanted to try his hardest to make sure I had a computer this time around. He brought home some food and I was awake long enough to eat before passing out again. I remember at one point M mentioning I felt hot when I hugged him and we thought to take my temperature. 99.6, so not bad, but if I were in elementary school I would've been sent home. I said that exact line to M while looking cross-eyed down at the thermometer and he laughed at me before informing me that I was already home, so go to sleep. I slept while he worked on the computer. He woke me up to ask me to check on his handiwork and I remember changing the screen resolution before going back to the couch to sleep. He decided to lay with me on the couch to keep me company. At around midnight I moved to the guest room to sleep, and he moved to the bedroom. Our old mattress is more comfy and I didn't want to wake him up with my tossing and turning. The next time I woke up was a little before 7am when he came in after PT to check on me. I tried to join him in the kitchen while he got ready for the day but my head just kept pounding, so I went back to the room and slept until 11 or 12. I no longer have a headache but there is a definite lack of energy in everything I do.

I mentioned to Mom last night about feeling bad and she went into Mommy Diagnosis mode immediately and tried figuring out why I had gotten sick. Our conclusion was I had to've picked up the germs at the theater. In any case, today I've been running laundry and switching between playing on the computer and cleaning up the house. I'd fallen a little behind on dishes and I left a lot of tissues and wrappers everywhere yesterday so I have to clean up after myself. One day of not cleaning up after yourself really adds up!

I'm going to try my darndest to get that Lush haul out today but I still can't concentrate on one task for very long, thus my running around and switching between tasks. I also found out that some of my pictures turned out blurry. I don't know how, but I'm going to go ahead and post with the blurry pictures because I know trying to take new pictures will postpone this haul for another month.

Did you miss me while I was gone? =P How's the weather in your area? It's warming up here, but the wind is picking up. In the end the windchill makes everything a lot worse than it was a month ago when we had snow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh pooh. So much yuck. Sorry you got ill and had foot pain. Are they back to normal? Are you feeling better? Can't wait to see the Lush haul!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet are mostly back to normal. There's a general soreness on the entire bottom of my foot whenever I walk but it's nothing compared to what I've been experiencing. I'm thinking I should invest in some nice shoes for running from now on because back when my parents bought me fancy shmancy high end shoes I never had this problem.

      Delete