Wednesday, December 28, 2016

One Year


One year ago today I landed in South Korea, beginning one of the most amazing and yet trying years of my life. In February, our monthly Band of Bloggers post asked us about our goals for the year. I said I wanted to move forward. In short, I think I'm succeeding splendidly. I've done so much this year - things I would have never dreamed of doing before coming here and using this place as a stepping stone to work on life!




I went to weekly (at times daily!) Hanji papercraft lessons.


I hiked Namhansanseong Fortress.



I attended a Lotte World night parade.


I shopped at the Dongdaemun night market.



I ate delicious bingsu while on a fantastic trip to Daegu.


I shopped in Myeongdong.


I ate tons of delicious food.


I participated in a Pathfinder campaign.



I've soloed Korea's public transportation system.


I adopted two sleepy, adorable little hamsters.



I'm learning a new language, and frequently use those new skills to help us navigate the city and communicate with other people. 

I'm taking time to work on myself and that has in turn changed the way I perceive the world around me - for the better. It's not as hard to reach out to others and reciprocate this funny thing called friendship. :) I'm willing to accept my shortcomings while still working on them. I'm learning that it's okay to put me first, and a little pat on the back every now and then isn't all that bad.

This year has done so much for me. I can never fully explain it. I hope sharing a few of my favorite moments helped, though. Thank you for following me on this journey and letting my horribly inappropriate sense of humor keep you company.

Stay tuned for a special (and first time) giveaway on January 1st!

6 comments:

  1. Seems like this year has flown by! I know you chat with your family a lot, but has there been a lot of homesickness? Have you ever just been so "I wanna go home!" or has it been a fairly easy time?

    What do you think you'll miss MOST about Korea when you finally do leave?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a small period of "mom"-sickness towards the end of summer when a lot of people had their parents visit and I realized I still had a year and a half until I would see my family, but other than that I haven't experienced it too much. Being able to stay in contact with my family makes a huuuge difference.

      I think I'll miss the food the most. It's so easy right now to go out and enjoy some authentic Korean cuisine and the culture that surrounds it. I won't be able to find all these food options back in the states, and I know I'm going to turn into a snob about Korean food. "This isn't Korean! It doesn't taste right!" LOL

      Delete
    2. ""This isn't Korean!"
      When we went to Germany one of the things I had a ton of fun with was going to a regular grocery store in the town we were staying in. They had things labeled here and there in different sections, proclaiming 'Taste of America!' so of course we were always checking out just what Germany thought Americans were loving. I remember the pizza section of the freezer had a 'Taste of America!' on one kind of pizza that had CORN on it. We both laughed out loud at that! We were like "What part of America are they basing this on?!"

      ~Deb

      Delete
    3. I didn't care for corn on my pizza until I came here. I didn't really have a choice - they love corn on their pizza. LOL! I have to agree with you, though. I've never had corn on my pizza in America!

      I don't see any American aisles in the stores here. There are "international" sections but it includes a variety of items from different countries. All the prices are incredibly high, though. I'm glad I can get my American tastes on post where we pay the same amount we would pay in the States for our homey tastes.

      Delete
  2. Happy One Year of adventure! I love that you accomplished your goal. You did beautifully! I have loved reading and watching your SoKo life phase. I hope and pray your newfound direction carries you to more wonderful memories to be made. Cheers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining me in this wonderful chapter of my life! <3

      Delete