Monday, December 7, 2015

Blogmas Bonus! Winter Pine Handcrafted Soap!

I've decided that I like the word handcrafted over handmade. So that's what I'm going to go with!
This soap was fun from start to finish and I love how the final scent turned out! Unfortunately this was one of those soaps that I let cook a little too much, so it has quite a few bubbles throughout. Live and learn!

Base Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, hemp seed oil, cocoa butter
Superfatting: Shea butter & almond oil
Fragrance: 40/40/20 Scotch Pine/some other pine/plumeria fragrance oil

Unfortunately this is one of those batches where I do not have my soapy notes. I do know that I had two separate pine fragrances and added a small amount of plumeria to sweeten it up just a bit. The end result was a very authentic (to me) evergreen forest smell. It reminds me of playing in the woods as a child when we lived in West Point perfectly.
The soap itself was pretty easy to work with. I did a base layer with some sparkling silver mica to simulate some form of snowfall, did not touch the middle layer's color, and then put a top layer of green. Since I had some extra soap that wouldn't fit in the mold I worked on some smaller sized soaps without the sparkly base layer. Of course I covered the top in a variety of green & iridescent glitters because I'm a sucker for sparkly things.
This is a stronger scented soap, and I did experience some crumbling issues while cutting. In my experience pine does that a lot so I knew to expect it. The lather is good enough (big bubbles but not lots of them) and the scent stays. As a result I wouldn't recommend this soap to anyone who is not a fan of pine. I happen to love it so that means more soap for me! :)

This is the soap that I've casually tried to dupe the scent of, to no avail. I can't even find the fragrance oils from the same supplier. Of course this happens to me!!

2 comments:

  1. Bubbles smubbles. I bet it still works the same.

    I like handcrafted over handmade too. Makes it sound more skilled, more artisan. hehe

    What is that snowflake background you take these pics on? Placemat? Napkin? Scrapbook paper? I love it, whatever it is. lol

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about soap. While the bubbles are nice I don't need them to know if a soap is working or not.
      The background is some decorative scrapbooking paper I picked up from Hobby Lobby. Initially I was worried that it would be too cluttered for pictures but it turned out perfect for setting the holiday mood :)

      Delete