Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Lush Shampoo Bars


I've known about Lush and their shampoo bars for over five and a half years. I've tried their makeup, conditioner, bubble bars, bath bombs, body butters, hand oils, hair creams, and jar shampoos. I have gushed thick and thin about some products and given my best "thanks but no thanks" to others. Why, then, has it taken so long for me to try out the very first product of theirs that I discovered in the depths of YouTube?

The answer may never be known, but now I've had some time to play with these three shampoo bars and can give my thoughts.

While using these shampoo bars, I used the same conditioner: Veganese, which I talk in depth about in this post. The conditioner still remains my holy grail conditioner, but my scalp itching has continued to be something I'm searching for relief from. I can say that the conditioner does not contribute to -and sometimes alleviates- my scalp itchiness, but there are still days where I experience extreme irritation.

After my showers, I towel dry my hair and scalp with a microfiber cloth. For testing these shampoos, I had days where I applied nothing post-shower and others where I applied Lush's R&B and/or Hair Custard.

Soak and Float: "Sort out dry, itchy scalps.
Sad, irritated scalps rejoice! We've got just the thing to soothe your troubles. We pack cade oil into this one to treat dry or angry scalps, leaving them feeling calm and relaxed. Rose oil works to soothe the scalp too, and also lends its heady aroma to this bar's sweet and smoky perfume."


This is the main shampoo bar I use. I like how easily it bubbles up and it leaves my hair smelling fresh and ever so slightly sweet. If Lush has a generic scent, this is it.
Compared to the other two shampoos, this is the gentlest on my scalp. While it doesn't completely cure my irritated scalp, I have noticed that I have fewer scalp issues when using this shampoo in comparison to the Godiva and Seanik. Something I am super excited about is the discovery that this shampoo actually tames my frizz. It's not a cure all, but I notice a definite difference when using the Soak and Float. I will buy this again.

Godiva: "One step to beautiful hair
Our vegan, 2-in-1 shampoo bar cleans and conditions your hair with moisturizing nut oils and shea butter. It leaves all hair, even dry, processed locks, looking glossy, shiny, and soft. Long used as a tonic for the hair and scalp, jasmine oil also perfumes your locks with an ultra-sexy fragrance with serious staying power."


I do a coconut oil treatment every two weeks, so towards the end of those two weeks my hair tends to get a little dry. For those days, I use this shampoo. Unfortunately, this is a very finicky shampoo for my scalp. I cannot let it get too close to my scalp, otherwise I'll experience increased itchiness and irritation. It takes more work to lather up, perhaps due to its claims at being a 2-in-1 product, and I feel like I have to use more product to get the same level of cleanliness. Sometimes this product will leave my hair feeling extra greasy and weighed down, which probably contributes to the itchiness. I will continue using this shampoo, but it is not a repurchase.

Seanik: "Flat hair no more!
Soften tangled locks and add oceans of shine with this mineral-rich, volumizing shampoo bar. Seanik is made with ingredients from the sea: softening Irish moss seaweed and Japanese nori seaweed make hair soft as silk from root to tip, and sea salt gives body and volume to hair that tends to fall flat. We've also added lemon oil for extra shine, and a sensual blend of floral oils to perfume your hair subtly all day long."


This is my powerhouse shampoo. For the first day or two after a coconut oil treatment, I need extra cleaning power to make sure I haven't left too much oil in my hair. I also use this shampoo after particularly vigorous exercise, when my Soak and Float just won't cut it. The tradeoff for the extra cleaning power and shiny hair is the frizz. Oh my, that frizz. I find I have to use a little more post-shower product to make sure my hair doesn't look like a static monster.


The day I bought these shampoo bars I also received these pins. After asking the employee about the pins and new reward system, it is my understanding that there are very specific days (certain holidays and your birthday) that you can bring in your pins and the number of pins you bring in dictates the percent discount you will receive. The employee didn't seem 100% positive, though, so I guess I'll find out some day whether that is true or not.

Have you tried Lush's shampoo bars? What have you thought of them?

8 comments:

  1. Love the photo of the trio up top! They look like a little stack of macarons. I have tried a Lush shampoo bar and in fact it was Soak 'n Float. But it was wayyyy too smoky for my husband, who even just smelling it in the shower when not in use was nauseating. I liked it but only just barely. They must have changed the fragrance formula because it was a straight up bonfire bomb. I did love how fast it lathered and the mounds of bubbles it created. It did help with my scalp itchiness too. Maybe I will go back and see how they smell now. From looking at my post it was March 15th, two years ago. The Seanik one sounds lovely, but the frizz would be a problem. Maybe I could tame it with gel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband might be happier, Julie, with the re-jigged Soak 'n Float - apparently they got rid of that smoky campfire smell. I'm not sure if it's the cade oil in this shampoo bar (I don't even know what cade oil is, let alone what it smells like) but it's a little astringent, a little floral, a little herbal. I don't love it, but I don't hate it, and people in general seem happier with the new scent as opposed to campfire head.

      Delete
    2. Like Sandra said, the revamped Soak n Float is much better than the older version. The new version still does everything you said you like about it, so it might be worth another try!
      I can tame the frizz from my Seanik with some hair products, so it's not a deal breaker. I just have to be careful not to over saturate my head with products otherwise my hair will look weighed down, dull, and slightly greasy. Ick.

      Delete
  2. Soak 'n Float-er here. It seems to be the only shampoo product that keeps my itchy scalp from THE FULL ITCH. Like you said, it doesn't take care of everything, but I've noticed that both the itchy and the flaky are tamped down a bit, and that's better than anything else I've tried (and without all that horrible tar-scented stuff either.) Tip for keeping your bar from going all skunky and getting stuck to the bottom of the soap dish - flip it over as it's drying. I store mine in a small lidded tupperwear container. After I'm showered, I lay it in there and stick the container on my counter. A couple of hours later I come back and flip it over to dry the other side. Otherwise I find it gets really, really sticky - like really disgusting taffy!

    I'm surprised your hair likes the Soak 'n Float, though - mine just despises it. My hair feels like straw afterwards, so I condition, but keep it away from my scalp.

    A note about the Godiva guy, though. I tried another shampoo bar for everyday use - I think Lullaby? - that looked just like Godiva (some of them are quite hard and others are kind of soft, right?) and had a pretty bad reaction to it, inflammation, scalp soreness, crappy-looking hair. I'll sing SnF's praises, but regrettably not any others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You understand the pain of the ever-itchy scalp!
      I noticed the shampoo bars getting gummy after a few times in the shower, so I've started storing the bars outside of the shower (our shower is more of a wet room, so EVERYTHING gets wet/humid) and only bring it in while I'm using it. I'll definitely add in flipping it over while it's drying! Thanks for the tip!

      I have noticed that my hair gets more straw-like towards the end of my two-week coconut treatment cycle, so you're not alone in your SnF woes! That's the only reason I use the Godiva bar. Fortunately I haven't had as bad of a reaction as you had with the softer bar you tried, but this is one bar I tread very lightly with. When I use it I feel like I'm one unlucky use away from a night of extreme itchiness. As in, I get so desperate for scalp relief I will take a shower in the middle of the night to "reset" my scalp.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the review, such a Lush/shampoo bar noob here, but maybe I'll try the soak n float. My hair runs oily, so it may not be overly drying. I'm willing to give it a try.
      (I'm laughing at the idea of campfire smoke head, that's one of the worst shampoo ideas I've ever heard).
      Thanks for the tip Sandra! I was thinking about that issue as I was reading. Love it, of course assuming I'd remember to do it!

      Delete
  3. I have only tried the Lullaby shampoo bar and I was rather impressed with it. The amount of lather just two swipes creates is incredible! Much more efficient than normal liquid shampoo and conditioners. The only problems I had with the shampoo bars were that they were drying which I just resolved with using conditioner and that they did get gummy like you said unless I left them outside the shower. Of course leaving them outside the shower caused me to forget them a lot. I've heard great reviews from the NEW bar which I believe to be cinnamon scented, Karma Komba and the Brazilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in denial about their shampoo bars until I started using them myself. I can see how they make their claims about their bars lasting longer than bottles of shampoo, assuming the bar is stored correctly.
      I can see how it'd be easy to forget the shampoo bar if it's not in front of you. That's the only shampoo that's in the bathroom at the moment for us, so it's kind of hard for us not to notice it's missing.
      Karma Komba and Braziliant haven't made their way to Korean shelves yet so I'll have to wait a little longer to check those out. I'm excited from the reviews I've read!

      Delete