Thursday, March 10, 2016

Haul: Candles From the Keeping Room February 2016


Look at all of these gorgeous shapes! Such color! Such pizzazz!





What, did you think I wasn't going to force you to admire my pile of wax? :P I really liked the special, large white snowflake shape I got. It made me feel special, at least.

I bought these during Carol's February 13th opening and they were shipped on February 15th. Fast, as always. I was able to get everything on the list I had wanted except for one thing. I don't remember what it was now, but I know it was something I really wanted to try. It went really fast, though; I was on the site in seconds after Carol's post and it was the first thing I tried grabbing. Oh well, maybe it wasn't that special if I can no longer remember what it was. LOL


Strawberry Pomegranate Cake: A house blend of strawberry, cake, and pomegranate.
Yum, sweet and fruity bakery. I definitely pick up on every note. This cake also seems to be a bit more batter-like than typical cake blends. I paid $4.95 for 6.7 oz of wax.

Pink Strawberry Chiffon: Strawberry mixed with a hint of pink sugar and pink chiffon.
Pink Chiffon is one of my favorite scents from BBW, and I'm happy to smell how this has been blended. I don't pick up pink sugar by itself, but the pink chiffon is the most dominant note here with a heavy influence of strawberry. Yes, please! I paid $4.95 for 6.4 oz.

Blackberry Jam Butter Cookie: Like two sweet butter cookies, sandwiched into a sweet blackberry jam.
This is rather faint on cold sniff, so I'm holding out until this melts. I know paraffin wax isn't the best on cold sniff, so I'm not worried. I do pick up on a faint blueberry-and-cake note, though. I paid $4.95 for 6.3 oz of wax.


Blackberry Jam Flapjack: Our sweet yummy blackberry jam butter cookie with our yummy flapjack.
Heavy bready scent. I almost get zucchini bread from this. Oh no... I paid $4.95 for 7.2 oz of wax. Why is my dubious scent the one that has so much extra wax in it?!

Sea Mist and Lavender: A sea mist mixed with lavender.
Thanks for that description. LOL. I get a salty lavender, almost detergent-like in nature. I paid $4.95 for 6.8 oz.

Strawberry Peppermint: No scent description available. 
I get a 75/25 mix of peppermint and strawberry. A nice peppermint with just enough strawberry to dull that choking sharpness that some peppermints have. I paid $4.95 for 6.5 oz.


Spun Peppermint: Sweet realistic peppermint mixed with 4 other oils: cotton candy, vanilla cream, white frosting, and "a whole lot of love."
This just smells like twisted peppermint to me. Maybe I'm not skilled enough in the nuances of wax to detect differences. I wouldn't qualify this as a fall or winter only scent, but it definitely requires a certain sort of atmosphere to melt. What that atmosphere is, I do not know... :P I paid $4.95 for 5.7 oz.

Sugar Milk: A bakery type scent. Sweet condensed milk with added sugar.
Hmm. I'm not sure I like this one. I may blend it with something else to get rid of the almost rancid note I pick up on. This scent reminds me of Christmas. Maybe if I cannot find a good blender I will wait until December to melt this. I paid $4.95 for 6.5 oz.

Strawberry Dew: A lemon/lime fizzy pop that we have taken to a new level and laced in sweet strawberries.
I think mountain dew and strawberries. I hope the fizz dies down as this melts, as fizzy type scents make my nose tickle. I like this, though. I paid $4.95 for 6.4 oz.

Red Saffron: Warm and spicy cardamom, pink pepper, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, sandalwood and musk.
I can't pick up any individual notes in here to comment on, but I do have to say that this smells like a wonderful, earthy, incense-y tart with a little bit of sweetness. Julie, I believe this one would be right up your alley! <3 I paid $4.95 for 6.8 oz.

Now on to Carol's freebies!


Fresh Picked Strawberry: The most realistic strawberry around.
I bought a bag of this during Carol's March 2015 opening, and you can read my thoughts about it here. I received 1.2 oz.

Chocolate Lavender: No scent description available.
Reading the name, I would not think that this is something I would like. On cold sniff, all I can say is it seems to work together. I smell both, and the chocolate doesn't smell choking or too fake. I shall have to melt this and report back to you guys on how it performs/smells! I received 1.0 oz

Winter Candy Apple: Crispy apple, pineapple, zests of orange, neroli, cinnamon, sandalwood, fresh musk, bamboo, patchouli.
A very musky type of scent. I don't pick up on any of the fruity notes directly, but I know they're there. This makes me think of walking into a Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens 'N Things. I received 1.0 oz.


Treasures of the Orient: Sultry and complex, a scent reminiscent of mulled pomegranate and rich spices of the Far East are imported into your home. Grassy orange and almond top-notes, complemented by middle notes of creamy plum, sassafras and jasmine, then balanced with base-notes of powdery musk and sugary dried fruit.
A musk heavy tart. I'm not sure what I think of it. Very manly. I received 0.9 oz.

Stiletto Blonde: White flowers, violets, hint of muskiness.
All I can say is yum. This smells like a wonderful flower shop with a light musk to it. The musky note seems reminiscent of a Lush scent that I can't quite put my finger on. I received 1.1 oz.

Bunny Treats: A sweet blend of berries, wildberry and blackberry spun together with sweet frosting.
I pick up on an almost bakery note here. It smells so good! And the bunny is so adorable! I can't wait to melt it, buahahahah! I received 1.1 oz.


Rosemary Mint: A blend of rosemary and mint. Sweeter than Aveda type.
Very in-your-face. I can imagine melting this when I can't clear my nose, as taking a whiff just cleared some gunk that I didn't even notice until now. I received 1.6 oz.

Fruity Pebbles: Sweet and sugary scent. Fruity just like the cereal.
Dead on dupe. I feel like I stuck my bag in a box of Fruity Pebbles cereal. This isn't resonating with me very well, though. I don't know what it is. I received 1.1 oz.

Blackberry Currant: No scent description available.
This is a scent that isn't clean in nature but I associate with soaps. It reminds me of an old VO5 soap my mom used to use. I think without meaning to Carol has sent me a comfort scent. I may just roll up into a ball and cuddle my stuffed animals crying about my family while melting this. :P I received 0.8 oz.


Clementine Lavender: No scent description available.
I can't quite put my finger on what this smells like. It's an herbal lavender, but not metallic. I know clementine is supposed to be some sort of orange, but this smells very minty to me. We will have to see how this performs once melted. I received 1.9 oz.

Price breakdown time!
Total Before Shipping: $49.50
Total After Shipping: $65.00
Total Wax Received: 77 oz.
Freebies Received: 11.7 oz (included in total wax received)
Price/Ounce without shipping: 64.3¢/ounce
Price/Ounce with shipping: 84.4¢/ounce

Conclusion: Even with some ridiculously high shipping charges that I know we have complained about, CFTKR is cheap! Without freebies this still works out to 99.5¢/ounce, which is cheaper than SMT or Rosegirls or VTC before shipping is factored in.

I'm really excited for this order! I think there were only two things that I knew I wasn't a fan of, but even then I think I'm willing to at least try them out. Which scents here speak to you? Did you partake in Carol's opening on the 4th?

2 comments:

  1. Stellar haul! I do in fact love Red Saffron ;-) and I loved the Chocolate Lavender and never thought I would. Pink Strawberry Chiffon was delish too. If you remember what it was you wanted and I have it I will send you some. I caught this last opening and I am in hog heaven. Oh! And Winter Candy Apple is a BBW dupe. Old school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate in that chocolate lavender blend is one of the best I've ever smelled. I'm still in shock at its deliciousness.
      I was wondering if WCA was a BBW dupe. I couldn't remember for sure though.

      Delete