Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Haul: Olde Primitive Treasures


I have regrets today. I regret not buying some of Lara's chunk melts. Between the one I received and the numerous pictures she's posted to the OPT Facebook group I've found myself wanting some extra colorful, sparkly, glitter-bombed wax. I suppose what I got is good, though. I made this small order with the intention of trying out OPT and purposefully picked simpler, cheaper options and scents for this first-time purchase.



I placed my order on February 10th, and it shipped on February 22nd. Earlier than I expected, since the stated TAT is anywhere from 21-30 days. The box survived the trip, which I'm glad about because there was rather minimal padding in the box. Two tissue papers and that's it. I'm not too torn up about this - it's just wax, after all - but messy products make me not want to go through the hassle of taking pictures and posting a haul post. *sigh* First world problems, huh?


One problem I did have with my tarts were the way Lara packaged my grubby cakes. As you can see above, she stapled a business card to each of my tart bags, making it a little hard for me to remove the business card and open my bags without tearing up the packaging. The bags themselves had no way to seal shut once opened (no lip & tape or ziploc top), so I ended up re-bagging all of my tarts and transferring the labels whether I had ripped my bag or not.

Okay, on to what I got!


Creamy Candy: Strawberry, coconut, and vanilla musk.
Yup. This is yet another creamy candy dupe that I've picked up. This one is a fairly accurate dupe. It's hard to tell right now because this one smells heavily of Lord of Misrule. Scent leakage, oh nooo! I paid $4.50 for 5.2 oz.

Best Friends: Boysenberries, elderberries, strawberries, guava and pomegranate with a down of soft vanilla.
Yes! Sweet berries. I'm a huge berry and sweets fan, haven't you noticed? Add in some bakery and lavender and this would be The Ultimate Blend For Liz :P. I paid $4.50 for 5.1 oz.

Lord of Misrule: Patchouli, sandalwood blend with hints of citrus and vetiver.
I've never smelled a Lush product in LoM, but I liked the tart Julie sent me from OPT and this smells just as good as the last one! This puppy will have to be separated from the other scents ASAP, though; its scent is bleeding everywhere. I paid $4.50 for 5.1 oz.


Twisted Peppermint: Peppermint with vanilla and sugary musk.
This is an exact dupe of my twisted peppermint candle from BBW that I have sitting in front of me. Yay! Now to see how this performs in comparison to BBW's wax. I paid $4.50 for 5.2 oz.

Blueberry Muffins: "Buttery Blueberry Muffins, you'd swear came straight from the oven"
Yeah, I'd agree with Lara on that scent description :) This is slightly heavy on the blueberries, but I definitely know the muffin part is there. It's what I smelled from the box when I picked it up from the post office, surprisingly. With how LoM's been acting I would think that would be the dominant scent. I paid $4.50 for 5.2 oz.

Rose Jam: Citrus, turkish rose, geranium and lemon.
I'm glad I picked up a smaller scent shot of this. I wanted to see if I could get something Rose Jam scented without that powdery baby wipes note. I'm sorry to report that this is not my cup of tea. It smells exactly like M's Lush body conditioner in the same scent, which I did not like either. So if you like that sent, you'll like this one. I paid $1.75 for 1.4 oz.

Now on to Lara's generous freebies!


Buttered Blackberry Jam Bear Claws: No scent description available.
I think of the blackberry jam butter cookies when smelling this, with a hint of chocolate and syrup. If this smells as yummy once melted I will be a very happy camper!

Orange Pekoe: No scent description available.
Orange and cinnamon. Definitely a Fall/Winter scent to my nose. Into my fall/winter stash it is!

Birthday Cake: Sweet white cake with buttercream frosting.
Cake with a weird waxy undertone. I've never had success with birthday cake blends. They always have a weird waxy note to them, like the fragrance isn't strong enough for the wax. I usually get cake batter instead of birthday cake as it performs a lot better universally. I'll let this sit for a while before melting, but I would be very surprised if I got good performance from this.

Okay, now for the price breakdown. This is something I'm working on, so just bear with me, or don't bear at all and skip to the bottom of the post! I keep track of this stuff with every order on my end anyway, so why not include it in my posts?

Total Before Shipping: $21.82 (incl. $2.43 discount)
Total After Shipping: $30.77
Total Wax Received: 31.7 oz.
Freebies Received: 4.5 oz. (included in total wax received)
Price/Ounce without shipping: 68.8¢/ounce
Price/Ounce with shipping: 97.1¢/ounce

Conclusion: OPT is cheap. LOL. Maybe I won't be so stingy next time about the higher prices Lara charges for other shapes.

What scents here would you enjoy? Do you break down your wax purchase prices as much as I do? I even go into price differences when the freebies are taken out, price breakdown when taking scents I don't like out of the equation, price breakdown without any sales I may have taken advantage of, price breakdown based off of advertised amount of product received vs actual product... I'm crazy and I like spreadsheets :)

3 comments:

  1. What a great, colorful order! Her chunkies do look super cute. And the price really is fantastic!! I hope you enjoy it! Too bad Rose Jam is not for you, try blending it with cake or marshmallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will blend this with something softer, if I choose to keep it. I've gotten a bit of an itch to do a giveaway or something... I don't know. I just feel like I've bought so much stuff I can't keep all of it!

      Today when helping Michael apply the Ro's body conditioner we reached a layer of the product that had a more vibrant red color and smelled fantastic, without the baby wipes smell! I wonder if the product just settled weird and all of the good smelling stuff got pushed to the bottom.

      Delete